Edgcumbe 500

On Tuesday 8 December 2015 Robert, the 8th Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, unveiled a brand new garden here at Mount Edgcumbe to celebrate 500 years of the royal charter from Henry 8th granting a licence to empark part of the Rame Peninsula for use as a deer park. To celebrate this the Friends of Mount Edgcumbe have sponsored the design and planting of a new garden which includes two deer sculptures in stainless steel by our local blacksmith Mark Stevens. The garden is at the Barrow Centre and all are welcome to come and view at any time.

The History
On June 30 1515 King Henry VIII (by the Grace of God, King of England, France and Lord of Ireland) issued the following license:

‘For Sir Peter Eggegcombe (Sir Piers Edgcumbe). License to empark lands in Weststonehouse and Cremele, Devon, and Cuthele, Cornw, and to enclose and fortify his manor of Estonehouse, Devon.’ Weststonehouse and Cremele – today known as Mount Edgcumbe and Cremyll – were until 1844 included as a part of the county of Devon. 2015 will mark the 500th anniversary of the Edgcumbe family’s first structure on the peninsula – the great palisade fence – used to empark the Fallow Deer.

Throughout 2015 Mount Edgcumbe marked this historical milestone with various events and activities to recognise the careful stewardship over 500 years of a much loved Grade 1 listed landscape which is still grazed by the descendants of the original herd of deer today.

Comments are closed.